Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mosaic Logo Finished!


Well, my part is done at least. It still has to be installed and grouted. I have to say that this was one of the most enjoyable projects I have done. I just hope that the client likes it as much as me!

So to continue on with the steps to completion. Here is how I went about filling in the large starburst. I used whole tiles when I could. I really tried to not use many of the tiny pieces but had to do a lot of fill in because of the shape.



I had some design issues with the center of the large starburst. I had tiles coming in from all directions because of each point being tiled at different angles. I finally decided to just lay the tiles in the center going one direction. I angled it so it has a little more flow when looking at the logo straight on. I ended up with a slight curve to my tile lines that I had to fix and refix to get straight.






After getting all of the cracks filled in, I was ready for the background. I wanted it to be a basic squared off background. No frills so that the starburst would jump out. I chose to use Peacock in full sheets as much as possible. After adhering all of the full and partial sheets, I allowed these to dry overnight. I did this so that I wouldn't pull off the tiles when I soaked the paper off of the tiles.




The next day I used a wet sponge to get the paper off. I then started filling in around the large starburst. This was pretty easy but very time consuming. The edges of each tile are not perfect but I think grout will hide some of the blemishes.



After finishing the entire logo, I had to let it dry overnight. The last thing I had to do was cut this up into workable pieces and shake out all of the shards that were in the grout joints. I had a few tiles pop off so I glued those back on. I then flipped each piece over and pulled off the plastic wrap so that the glue could finish drying. This piece is now ready for delivery. I will post a pic of the installed logo later.

No comments:

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies
Improve the look of your life!