Monday, January 7, 2008

Grout Study

Even though we have this formula that we use for choosing your grout color, sometimes it isn't that easy. I have a piece that I am getting ready to grout today. I have contemplated the grout color for 3 days. It consists of metallic glass tiles of Henna and Painted Desert. Henna is a very dark brown with varying colors of black to medium brown. Painted Desert is an orangy rust color.

My first thought was black. Black grout doesn't actually dry black (more of a dark charcoal gray) so that really won't work with my brown based tiles. Then I thought a dark brown. Dark brown is a very difficult color to achieve though. My last thought is a mixture of black and mocha grout. Any one of these three might look good.

Now that I have basically three options for grout, I am going to perform a grout study. I glued sets of tiles onto a board. I used more Henna than Painted Desert so I laid them out as Henna.Painted Desert.Henna. I will mix the black, then brown, then the combo grouts and put one between each set of glued tiles. After the grout dries I should be able to see which grout color will look the best with my tile colors.

You can do this with any project that you make. Save some of those scrap tiles and glue one of each color used to a board. Do this several times so you can test several colors at once. By doing a grout study, you may save your mosaic from ruin by using the wrong color of grout.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I am glad that I did the grout study. I ended up going with the Mapei black sanded grout. It was perfect and the piece looked wonderful. I will post pictures of it after the weekend.

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies
Improve the look of your life!