Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Introduction

My name is Tammy and I am the owner of Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies (www.tileshack.com). I have been in business for almost 5 years. During this 5 years I have taught many people how to create gorgeous mosaic art.

I have been creating my own mosaics for about 9 years. I have written a couple of articles for GlassCraftsman magazine. I have been in several newspaper articles. I was even asked to create a commission piece for the Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville, TN. It was the sheet music to Hey Good Lookin'.

Over this time period, I have picked up tons of techniques and tips. Some of these work well for one person but may not work for someone else. You always have to be prepared to try something different until you find what works for you.

For instance, a good friend of mine, Cary Huff, creates the most amazing vases. She uses stained glass, vitreous tiles, broken china, glass gems, and other assorted things. She also loves using Liquid Nails for her adhesive. I don't care for making vases or using Liquid Nails. I prefer nice flat surfaces such as wall hangings or table tops. I hate using Liquid Nails as I can never get it to work properly without making a huge mess.

Just learn to adapt when something is not working and always be willing to try a variety of techniques. Creating mosaic art is not rocket science but does take some time and thought.

That is it for now. I will return every few days and post a great tip or technique that you will hopefully try. Feel free to post a response if you disagree or agree with what I am saying. I am, by far, not an expert just have a ton of experience!

No comments:

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies
Improve the look of your life!