Thursday, August 30, 2007

Vitreous Glass 101

Vitreous glass tile is one of the most popular forms of tesserae used in mosaic art. I personally love it because of its uniform size and shape. These are perfect for use on a tabletop and floor since they are all the same thickness. I don't recommend always using them whole. Try cutting some up to give a rough edge look to your piece. I cut these into strips or quarters or even triangles. Mix it up a little to add texture to your piece.

So what is vitreous glass tile? The definition of vitreous is basically that light can pass through but you can't see through it. Keep in mind that this is just an overall definition. Some vitreous tiles are completely opaque. This is usually true for the hot colors such as reds, oranges, and yellows. There are several new brands coming out that have completely solid colors in the blues, greens, grays, etc.

Most vitreous glass has a speckled surface which people love. It gives the tile a natural look that is appealing for most projects. I have found that most of my clients prefer this surface texture for their home installations over completely smooth tile. However, too much speckle is not always a good thing. A good rule of thumb is that the more speckles there are the lower quality the tile. I have seen some tiles that are completely spotted and they just shatter when I cut them. That is very frustrating! Then there are the completely smooth tiles. These tiles are gorgeous but some of these cut weird too. Sometimes they will separate in layers when cut. Always go back to the rule that glass has fracture points and will split where it wants occasionally.

Price doesn't mean good or bad quality. You will find which tiles you prefer and just stick with those. I love the MatrixColor and the Sq Palette. These are my personal favorite. I create all of my work in these two lines. However I do throw in a CartGlass vitreous tile occasionally to get the colors that I need. I have tried other lines of vitreous and have likes and dislikes of those as well. I won't go into those here though.

Vitreous glass tile comes in hundreds of colors. The palette it gives you is extensive and will help you create the perfect piece. Always be willing to try something new!

2 comments:

grambu said...

Hi Tammi, thanks for these blogs they are interesting as well as helpful. Hey do you have any hints on cutting those new crystal glass
squares? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Judith

Tammy said...

Hi Judith! I just use my wheeled cutters to cut the AfterGlow Series tiles. They cut much better than vitreous. I get some wonderful straight cuts. I just place my wheels in the middle of the tile and cut quickly. If you have any trouble then it might be time to rotate those wheels!

Take care,
Tammy

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies
Improve the look of your life!