Friday, August 24, 2007

Weldbond - The Good and The Bad

Ooohhh Weldbond! As a mosaic artist I love this magical glue. It is very easy to use, dries clear (eventually), and gets stronger as it dries. I tell my students that a "dab will do it" when using Weldbond so it is also inexpensive to use.

Weldbond can be used for most indoor projects. I don't recommend using it for hanging a kitchen backsplash or shower surround! You can use this wonderful adhesive on most surfaces. Try it on wood, metal, ceramic, and glass.

This adhesive is perfect for a sealant to be used before tiling your piece. Create a mixture of 1/5 of Weldbond and 4/5 of water. Brush on the entire surface of wood, concrete, and terra cotta. Allow to soak in and dry. This will help protect against added moisture that may seep onto the surface of your piece and damage the integrity of your mosaic.

I use Weldbond for the double direct on mesh method. I use it very sparingly to adhere my tiles to the mesh. Just don't use too much so that it completely covers your mesh holes. You need to leave some space for the thinset to seep up and touch your tiles.

The drawbacks are that it is a water soluble and doesn't set quickly. Do not use this adhesive outdoors!!!! I created a gorgeous bench using Weldbond. I then placed it outside under my covered back porch. Within 2 months the tiles began to just come off in sheets, held together only by grout. Don't allow your mosaic to be destroyed due to ignorance of your glue like I did!

If you decide to use this glue on glass be ready for your tesserae to slide for a little while. Weldbond doesn't set up quickly so your tiles will move easily until the glue has time to dry somewhat. One thing that helps this is to brush on a coating of Weldbond on your glass and allow to dry. Now use the Weldbond to adhere the tile as you normally would.

Keep in mind that Weldbond needs oxygen to set up. Once the tiles are squished onto the surface, it is harder for air to get underneath the tiles. It will take a little longer for the glue to become clear but it will eventually. If using transparent tiles, be sure to cover the entire back of the tile with glue (thin layer) so you will not see the glue once it does completely dry.

That is all for today. I hope this helps you understand the power of Weldbond. Please let me know if I have left anything out by leaving me a comment! Here is a link to purchase Weldbond.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tammy, I use Weldbond on most projects too. I've had great success with it outside on an outdoor bar. The designs are routered into wood and no grout used. Our mailbox is steel and the southern side design has weathered a full year but the northern has popped a few tiles due to ice. No grout used on this one either. Maybe the heavy use of it is the key?

Tammy said...

I don't know how it works for you Vicki?? Weldbond is a water soluable glue. When it gets near moisture it softens up to a liquid. Hence, it can't hold the tiles on for long. If it works for you, just keep doing the same! After losing my bench I won't take that chance again.

Unknown said...

Good article. Very informative.

grouting chemicals

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies

Tile Shack Mosaic Supplies
Improve the look of your life!